- that he enjoyed the lively online debates;
- he has a competitive spirit and the right to express his own opinion;
- he made a mistake in judgment, not ethics;
- at the time he started posting in this online community, he was a relative unknown and had not become a public figure;
- he was wrongly accused of attempting to manipulate Wild Oats' stock price and his last posting on the topic was 5 months prior to beginning talks of acquisition;
- his postings were not an attempt to increase Whole Foods' stock price.
His lesson learned? That he has become a public figure and his public and private lives are closely intertwined and impact one another.