Galactic Pizza (Minneapolis MN) makes excellent pizza from local and organic ingredients. But it's not the mouth watering pizza that makes Galactic Pizza our Sustainable & Responsible Business of the Week. The company emphasizes environmental and social responsibility in its operations. Just take a look at this long list of sustainability initiatives (from their website):
- When conditions allow, our food is delivered to your door using 100% electric vehicles.
- All of the power purchased to run our restaurant is renewable wind energy.
- All of our mozzarella cheese comes from independent family farmers who humanely raise grass fed cows not treated with rGBH growth hormones or antibiotics.
- We have incorporated a number of organic items into the menu.
- We have the Second Harvest Heartland pizza, where $1 is donated to this hunger relief organization every time the pizza is ordered.
- We strive to use packaging that is either made from recycled materials, or is 100% biodegradable.
- We incorporate hemp products into each menu category, and print our menu on hemp paper. Hemp is not only good for you, it is also very good for the Earth.
- In season, we try to purchase all of our produce from farms here in Minnesota or in nearby Wisconsin.
- We have an in depth waste reduction program utilizing composting for food waste and recycling whenever possible.
- 5% of our pre-tax profits are donated to charity.
Galactic Pizza has been featured by MSNBC, CNNMoney/Fortune, and Discovery's Planet Green, to name just a few. Galactic Pizza was founded by Pete Bonahoom.
Sustainable & Responsible Business of the Week is a weekly behind-the-scenes look at what businesses are doing to be more sustainable and responsible in their operations.
Sustainable & Responsible Business of the Week: If they can do it, so can you!