- Community: How can we help connect people, build communities and protect unique cultures?
- Opportunity: How can we help people better provide for themselves and their families?
- Energy: How can we help move the world toward safe, clean, inexpensive energy?
- Environment: How can we help promote a cleaner and more sustainable global ecosystem?
- Health: How can we help individuals lead longer, healthier lives?
- Education: How can we help more people get more access to better education?
- Shelter: How can we help ensure that everyone has a safe place to live?
- Everything else: Sometimes the best ideas don't fit into any category at all.
Entries can be submitted through October 20, 2008. The top 100 ideas will be selected and posted for public voting to narrow the field to 20 semi-finalists. An advisory board will then select up to 5 finalists and identify the organization(s) best able to implement the winning ideas. Google has committed $10 million for implementation of the winning ideas.